Thursday, June 28, 2012

Adventures in the land of the Joe.

Let's see where to start?

First off, hello everyone I hope that your week has been well. I've been collecting my experiences this summer like lightning bugs in a Mason jar.

Earlier this week my Mom and brother's came up to school to treated me to a massive amount of food at the Olive Garden. We took a ton of pictures, we ran into one of my professor's that I had last fall and then we went to get frozen yogurt because that's just what we do. Then we all came back to my dorm and my mom stared my room down and sized it up like moms do and she could barely contain her Perfectionist OCD. NOt that I live in a disgusting room, I just enjoy organized clutter. But the biggest kicker was when my mom looked on my ever growing bookshelf and grabbed 'Fifty Shades of Grey'. Of all of the books that I have for   her to possibly choose from she picked that one.

Also, I started talking to an old friend again and we stayed up late one night on Facebook talking about books and writing and music and I pretty much fell in love. He invited me to a writers club that he's in and for my first meeting I got to sit and listen and occasionally throw in my own two cents every now and then. It was pretty fun, except that they are very different writers than the kind that I'm usually accustomed to being around. They're a bunch of sadists to their characters and there's a lot of guns and werewolves and I don't even know. This is clearly a boys club, except for the other girl that was there with me. So next Wednesday I have to have something to turn in. Thankfully, I'm already working on something and that I don't get laughed at by the group because I'm writing what I know. But if I do, I'm just going to chalk it up to experience and go on my way because if anything it will have made my skin tougher than it already was.

I want to see the movie "Seeking A Friend for the End of the World", it looks great, but when the topic actualy comes up I usually tend to avoid it. Sorry guys, but I will not be divulging how I feel about this because I hate thinking about it. I'll give a story about how uncomfortable it makes me feel; when I was working at Pizza Hut about a year ago one of my regulars came in, he was an older gentleman and he came in and we started talking until his pizza was done ya know, small talk. He started to talk about religion which then went into the world's biggest discussion of the Apocalypse and when it was coming and what would happen and all that. The guy started telling me that he was happy that he was so old and had accomplished so much things with his life because whatever happened he would be ready to go. By this point in the conversation I was already starting to have a mini panic attack going on inside my head, my heart was racing a little and I was probably as white as a sheet because I was only 21 at the time. I hadn't accomplished a whole lot with me life, so of course I was freaking out. I wasn't put on this Earth to go through all of the things that I had by that point just have it ended abruptly even if that is how life works. I've read The Fault in Our Stars, I know that life can end mid-sentence. But I've made too much of an effort to keep myself alive during all of the surgeries that I've had to not be here for a reason and I can't afford to think that far into the future because I've seen Death and so I force myself every day to live life to the fullest because I don't want to go without having a least something tangible for others to remember me by.

Sorry, I hope everyone has a great rest of the week.

DFTBA!

Nicole

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you had to deal with one of those sorts of gentlemen. Those are the types of guys that fail to understand that when speaking with strangers, apocalypse info is not considered small talk. Sorry if the subject I brought up was painful or annoying. But when you see a movie like that, you tend to feel the need to think of those sorts of things. I'm generally not that sort of person... at all. I just kind of go day-by-day, enjoying what cards I'm dealt.

    Again, sorry for bringing that subject up. (I still recommend the movie though :P )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally okay, I probably would have posed the same question if I had seen the movie too.

    ReplyDelete