Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Another day, another blank page...

Ok, I'm not going to lie to you, I have been sitting here staring at this blank blog post page for about 2 hours now. Granted I have been distracted by other things during this time, but I just cant believe how badly I am procrastinating writing about why I procrastinate... this surely has to be just one giant circle.

Hi, my name's Rachel, and I LOVE to procrastinate...

Much like Craig, I find it hard to rid myself of all of life's distractions when I need to work, but that's not the real reason why I love procrastination...

I have been this way all through my schooling career but I feel like I really honed this ability when I made it to university. I don't think I can count how many times I left a report worth 50% of the classes grade until the very night before it was due. I started university doing a plethora of creative writing classes and telling myself I would have finished a book by the time I left... However without a serious deadline, and my inability to ever manage my time at university to a point where I was ever not covering myself with gigantic work loads, I left university with very high blood pressure, honours, and four unfinished novels.

Now, I am not saying this is a bad thing all of the time as I definitely do my best work when I am under pressure - this was how I knew I could only survive as a writer if I became a Journalist - but it would be so much easier for me if I could still do my best work and have it done hours, days, hell even weeks before it was due!

So this is where my problem lies with my creative writing. Whether it be blogs, novels, poems. No deadline = death to writing for me. I need the stress of a due date to get my blood pumping and my fingers typing. I need so much coffee running through my system that the entire world seems to be moving in slow motion. I need the thought of failure to be right there, sitting on my shoulder, yelling in my ear "You're not going to make it" just so I can smugly look at failure right in the face when I finish on time and say "Yes I can".

I think i need a way to find someone outside of myself to give me a deadline, maybe then I will be able to finish a novel... So Shelby, I will hold you accountable if you make me stick to my deadlines haha

I actually procrastinate most things, but the one I hate procrastinating almost as much as writing is reading. I am currently reading Jane Eyre and love it. I'm not getting through it very fast though, I feel like I have to absorb every word in every sentence before I can move on. I was reading this morning and it made me thing, what is everyone reading at the moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment